Tuesday, September 1, 2009

a well stocked gym bag does not a work-out make













4 pairs of socks: check
a few tops, bottoms, and sports bras: check
cute (yet conservative) sporty bathing suit: check
combination lock: check
gym shoes (complete with arch supporting insoles): check
extra deodorant, moisturizer, and razor: check
travel-size loofah: check
travel-size bottles filled with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and face wash, all tucked in cute little mesh zipper bag: check

After a great amount of careful thought, planning, and preparation, my gym bag is at long last complete! I have thought of everything I might need at a visit to the Y. Even though I haven't gone swimming for fitness purposes in... well... okay, so I've never gone fitness swimming. But I might! And so what if I've never actually showered at the Y after a work out (I do shower, just usually at home) I might decide that I want to next time. The point is, now I'm ready for anything.

The problem is that I have allowed my gym bag preparation to take the place of actually going to the gym. My bag sat, first in the car... then in the house... then in the car again, for almost two full weeks before (drum roll, please) I went to the Y today!!!

After work I called Seth and asked him if he wanted to meet me at the Y. He suggested I just come home first and pick him up so that we wouldn't have to take two cars. I (somewhat grudgingly) agreed, but insisted that he come out and jump in the car so that I wouldn't have to get out and lose any time. Translation: I didn't put all of that time and effort into carefully planning and preparing my gym bag so that I could just come in the house and change for my work out. That would just be wasteful!

So I picked him up and we did our usual Y routine (can I still call it our usual if we've only done it 5 times?) of Seth shooting hoops in the gym until he reaches his quota of successful baskets followed by free weights, and me running/walking on a treadmill for 30-40 minutes followed by weight machines. And even though I didn't touch my bathing suit or my shower supplies, I did feel so much cooler and athletic walking into the Y with my gym bag over my shoulder. Besides... there's always next time.

No comments: